9/10/15

You're Like Really Pretty.

You're Like, Really Pretty. 



[Hold Up...I promise this goes deeper than a movie quote ]

We've all quoted it a million times, right? That pivotal scene in that movie, Mean Girls. The one where Regina George, "the cool girl" invites Cady Heron, "the not so cool girl", to sit at their table. During a conversation Regina states, "But you're like really pretty." To which Cady replies, "Thank you!" And instead of saying "You're Welcome", Regina fires back with, "So you agree, you think you're really pretty?", in quite an accusatory way. And then we laugh. Because anyone who has ever been apart of the "girl world" gets the craziness of the conversation. But what if we really did agree when someone tells us that we're, "like, really pretty". What if we agreed, because we should. Because that is exactly how He sees us. 

This topic of 'truly believing that we're beautiful' has really been on my heart lately. I was recently asked the question, "Why do you think we as women struggle with confidence?" It was a harder question to answer than I thought. Because, logically, we shouldn't struggle with confidence. God made us in His image, and to put ourselves down would be an insult to his work. But emotionally I understand, and I as a woman, I relate. I'm constantly struggling with self-doubt, feelings of inferiority, thinking that I'm not "enough". In a world full of stereotypes about what pretty looks like, or what success means, or that you're worth is valued by how many likes or followers you have, of course its easy for our self confidence to dwindle. 


But in order to start boosting our confidence. We have to stop believing the lies. Stop believing what you think the mirror is saying, stop believing the negative thoughts in your head, and stop striving to be the perfectly polished Instagram feeds. They can all be overwhelmingly deceptive. I love myself the most, when I feel like I'm being 100% authentic. Maybe because I'm actually being what God created me to be. Being confident in your abilities, and being genuine in your beliefs. That's beautiful. That's, "like, really pretty!" 

One thing I know for sure, is that I am nothing without Jesus. He has this way of revealing Himself so clearly to me when I'm at my worst, and I'm so greatful for that. 
When I'm having days of doubt, the Bible is the best resource. 

Isaiah 46:4 says "I have made you. I will carry you; I will sustain and I will rescue you." 


How can we ever feel alone, or of no self worth with words like that?! 


Psalm 139:14  "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; 
my soul knows it well." 


Repeat this! Write it a million times, put it on your bathroom mirror! What an extraordinary reminder of what our thoughts should be!


Self-confidence, no doubt, has to come from within. But we're not meant to go through this life alone. We could all use some encouraging and reminding once in a while, or daily! Remind your girlfriends of their strengths, celebrate their accomplishments. Help them get through their weaknesses. Lets build each other up, because we all know what its like to be torn down. 


and if you haven't been reminded today... this is Me, telling You, that You're like, REALLY pretty. So believe it, because its true, and quite possibly...everyone sees it but you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment